Multimedia Grand Challenge Proposals
The 1st ACM International Conference on Multimedia in Asia (ACM Multimedia Asia) is calling for proposals for Multimedia Grand Challenges in 2019. Proposers with an innovative idea of a Multimedia Grand Challenge are invited to submit a proposal as below.
ACM Multimedia Asia, which puts together the long-lasting former PCM and ICIMCS, is a newly established international conference to showcase the scientific achievements and industrial innovations in the field of multimedia. The mission of ACM Multimedia Asia is to illuminate the advancements in multimedia computing by bringing together researchers and practitioners in this field, focusing on the integration of the multiple perspectives offered by different digital modalities including images, text, video, music, sensor data, spoken audio.
The purpose of the Multimedia Grand Challenge is to engage the multimedia research community by establishing well-defined and objectively-judged challenge problems intended to exercise the state-of-the-art methods and inspire future research directions. The key criteria for Grand Challenges are that they should be useful, interesting, and their solution should involve a series of research tasks over a long period of time, with pointers towards longer-term research. Priority will be given to Multimedia Grand Challenges 1) that have been successful held in the past; 2) to be held in the next successive years.
A Multimedia Grand Challenge proposal should include:
- Motivation: a brief description to explain why the challenge problem is important and relevant to the multimedia research community or industry.
- Task: a description of a specific set of research tasks to be carried out towards tackling the challenge problem in the long run.
- Area review: a brief overview of current state-of-the-art solutions (if any), and how this Grand Challenge would facilitate future researches.
- Website: link to sites containing relevant and necessary information.
- Datasets: dataset to be used for objective training and evaluation of the grand challenge, should be available prior to the starting point of the challenge.
- Evaluation metric: a description of rigorously defined objective criteria and/or procedures on how the submissions will be evaluated or judged.
- Commitment: work with ACM Multimedia Asia Conference organizers to publicize the challenge for participations.
- Organizers: name and contact information of at least two organizers who will be responsible for organizing, publicizing, reviewing and judging the Grand Challenge submissions as described in the proposal.
Please submit your proposals via email to the Multimedia Grand Challenge Chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submission of Grand Challenge Proposals: 20 May 2019
- Notification of Acceptance: 1 June 2019
- Web Site and Call for Participation Ready: 1 July 2019
- Submission of solutions Grand Challenge: 8 October 2019 (required deadline)
For questions regarding the Grand Challenges you can email the Multimedia Grand Challenge Chairs at email@example.com
- Yu-Gang Jiang (Fudan University, China)
- Wei Zhang (JD.COM, China))